WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Director, Crawford Auto Aviation Museum
The Western Reserve Historical Society (WRHS) in Cleveland, Ohio is looking for a visionary and collaborative leader to direct the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum (‘the Crawford’), a leading automotive and transportation museum dedicated to collecting, preserving and sharing the rich history of transportation in Greater Cleveland, the United States and the world. The Director of the Crawford will direct museum operations (budget management, staffing, exhibitions, programming, fundraising, earned revenue initiatives) and lead Crawford external affairs to expand overall exposure locally, nationally, and internationally in ways that benefit and sustain the museum, collection, and WRHS.
TITLE: Director, Crawford Auto Aviation Museum (the Crawford)
RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible to the WRHS President and CEO for:
- All aspects of Crawford museum operations, including preservation, budget, maintenance, programs
- Financial controls, including meticulous and responsible management of Crawford annual budget
- Drives regular Crawford Strategic Plan updates with CEO and key
- Aligning Crawford experiences with the WRHS strategic plan, and creating synergies between the Crawford and other areas of WRHS
- Role modeling WRHS values - Integrity, Innovation, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Stewardship and Excellence
- Creating and stewarding an inclusive environment consistent with WRHS’s strategic plan, core values and code of conduct
- Engaging stakeholders in the Crawford
- Elevating Crawford and WRHS’s positive reputation in the community and museum field
This position is classified as a full-time professional and is exempt from overtime compensation.
Supervises Crawford staff and interns
- In close consultation with the WRHS President and CEO and SVP of Advancement, proactively works to secure resources - cash and in-kind donations - for Crawford projects and programs
- Coordinates museum operations and use with Director of the Cleveland History Center (CHC) and Director of Experience Design
- Coordinates marketing and communications with marketing team
- Coordinates exhibitions of collections and collection management with collections team
- Is liaison to the Crawford Committee
- Is liaison for WRHS to various auto/aviation/transportation museums, shows, and organizations
- Directs all aspects of the Crawford’s operations, programs, exhibits, and collections
- Develops and manages annual operating budget
- Maximizes existing and develop new earned and contributed revenue opportunities
- Provides visionary leadership in a supportive, inclusive team-centered workplace
- Organizes and facilitates research into the history of automobiles and aviation of Cleveland and Northeast Ohio within the context of urban, social, and technological history
- Responsible for the ongoing review, care and management of the collection, including recommendations for artifacts and materials in automotive and aviation history for acquisition or deaccession
- Creates and maintains records on WRHS automotive and aviation collections, utilizing the database, cataloging, and project management software
- Coordinates with the Collection Management Team (CMT) the donation and lending of materials to and from WRHS for use in museum exhibits, programs, and publications
- In collaboration with WRHS collections, exhibition, and education staff leads the development of exhibits and programs on the history of automobiles, aircraft, and related transportation Assists in the installation of exhibits and the delivery of programs
- Prepares oral, written, and visual historical lectures, essays, and summaries for use in exhibits and publications as well as public presentations, both internal and external to WRHS
- Serves as WRHS’s community liaison for the automotive and aviation collections; serves as the spokesperson for the Crawford through participation in professional conferences, meetings, and organizations and with the media
- Performs appropriate professional duties as assigned and requested by the President and CEO
- Minimum 4-year college degree and/or graduate degree preferred
- Expertise in classic automobiles, automotive and transportation history
- Leadership experience, including 5 years in a management or leadership role in a museum, company, or related field
- Sales, marketing and promotional experience
- Knowledge of online cataloging systems and web-based information-sharing technologies and social media preferred
- Budget development, management, fundraising and planning skills are essential
- Demonstrated excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills
- Ability to translate ideas into action
- Exemplifies WRHS’s Core Values of Integrity, Innovation, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Stewardship and Excellence
Personal characteristics essential to this role include transparency, honesty, diplomacy, self-awareness, respect, creativity, loyalty, enthusiasm, flexibility, and the capacity to work well independently and with cross functional teams.
Interested applicants should send their cover letter and resume to Emily Poznako at email@example.com.
California Auto Museum
Curator / Executive Director
The California Automobile Museum seeks an experienced Curator/Executive Director to help us transform our museum from an automobile warehouse into an educational experience for our patrons using the Automobile to teach about its impact on society. The history of the automobile provides an ideal platform to tell our history and specifically the history of California.
The successful candidate is expected to be the leader of the museum. We have an extensive volunteer organization so good communication with them is mandatory and there are many day-to-day responsibilities of the museum including planning and putting on events, facility rentals, fundraising responsibilities including auto sales and manage admissions among others.
Covid has impacted our staff giving the successful candidate the opportunity to grow and mentor their own team as business returns to normal. Revenue streams include membership, event and facility rentals, museum hosted events, car sales, gift shop sales and more as allowed. Current staff is in place for car sales, communications and the admissions desk. We intend to hire concurrently an administration/accounting person.
The candidate must be able to work with an active volunteer Board of Directors and the volunteer community to help carry out a unified vision of the museum. The Curator/ED would report to the President of the Board.
We are looking for a candidate with significant curatorial experience in designing educational displays. We have volunteers and contracted staff to execute a majority of the work, but vision and leadership are key here. Management experience including hiring, supporting evaluating and even terminating employees where necessary is required. Candidates who have not led an organization but can demonstrate management skills with a strong potential to grow into a successful overall leader will be considered. The ideal candidate is a hands-on leader and motivator committed to a positive, forward-thinking environment. The candidate must have strong organizational skills to carry out the goals of the museum in a fast-paced environment.
An understanding of profit and loss statements is essential as the candidate will be supervising the input of financial data although we use a CPA firm to actually create the financial statements.
A Bachelor’s degree in Museum Studies, Business Administration or a related degree (or commensurate experience) is desired.
Salary will be commensurate with skills and education. Benefits include subsidized health insurance and a paid vacation plan.
The museum has been in existence for 34 years. We own our 75,000 square foot building just down the street from the heart of tourist activity in Sacramento. Our long-term plan is to improve and expand the facility in a variety of ways which requires substantial fundraising. The Museum Board has demonstrated that we can raise money and the candidate’s experience in fund raising would be valuable. The California Vehicle Foundation is a 501C3 non-profit.
Sacramento is the Capital of California and is an exciting place to live. Sacramento is ranked #3 in the country and #1 in California for the biggest gains in Net Arrivals April-August 2020, because of its affordability and location within the Golden State. Sacramento is an hour and a half from San Francisco and the coast, an hour from Napa and an hour and a half from Lake Tahoe and snow skiing.
California Auto Museum
The California Automobile Museum is seeking a full-time Office Manager to support the Curator/Executive Director and to lead the day-to-day clerical and financial responsibilities of the museum.
Closed during the pandemic, the Museum is re-opened and commencing to rebuild the team. The Office Manager role will be responsible for daily input of income and expenses via QuickBooks and work with our outside CPA firm on financial statements. Additionally, the position will be very involved in organizing the museum office functions and helping both staff and volunteers with a variety of activities form organizing special exhibit materials to assisting in the planning and execution of events and activities both inside and outside the Museum.
As noted, the job is multi-faceted and requires:
• Outstanding communication skills
• Team Player with a positive attitude
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Computer skills including Excel, Work, E-mail, and basic input for QuickBooks (or willingness to learn), and others.
• Understanding of Financial Statements
• Willingness to support Museum events, some of which are outside business hours
• Flexible, creative with an entrepreneurial spirit
Related experience is required, college degree is desirable, but not required.
Compensation is relative to education and experience.
Benefits include subsidized health care and paid vacation.
A background check will be administered to final candidates.
The California Automobile Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please respond to this ad with a CURRENT resume that lists prior employment WITH dates and the names of employers. We will not attempt to contact a former employer without your permission.